What is The X Factor?
The X Factor is a television show featuring a music competition to find America’s hottest new singing sensation. The winner of the competition receives a $5 million recording contract with Epic Records. The second season of The X Factor will begin airing on Fox on September 12, 2012 with a huge two night premier.
Auditions for this year’s show began in May 2012 and concluded in July, 2012. This year’s judging panel consists of four judges: Simon Cowell, Britney Spears, Demi Lovato and L.A. Reid.
Simon Cowell – Simon is mostly known in the USA and the UK for his role as a talent judge on TV shows such as Pop Idol, Britain’s Got Talent and American Idol. Simon is also known as being very insulting and blunt about contestants and their singing abilities. His criticisms can be quite controversial. Simon created The X Factor in 2004 using his production company, Syco. On the first season of the show (based in Britain), he was one of the hosts along with Sharon Osbourne and Louis Walsh. Simon launched The X Factor USA in September 2011 to be aired on Fox. While he is returning for a second year of The X Factor USA, he is no longer on a judge on the British version.
Britney Spears – As an entertainer, Britney began performing as a child. In 1997, she signed with Jive Records and released her debut album “…Baby One More Time” in 1999. That particular album became the best-selling album by a teenage solo artist in history. She may be best known for her hit single “Oops!… I Did It Again” which was a former number one hit. She has garnered many honorable nicknames including the “Princess of Pop”. This is Britney’s first year as a judge on the show. She signed a lucrative contract and reports have indicated that Britney is earning $3 more than Jennifer Lopez is on American Idol.
Demi Lovato – Demi is a singer, songwriter, actress and spokesperson. She released her first music album, “Don’t Forget”, in 2008. Her album quickly sold 89,000 copies the very first week which allowed her album to debut at number two on the Billboard 200. Her second album in 1989, “Here We Go Again”, performed even better. That album sold 108,000 copies the first week and debuted on the Billboard 200 at number one. In hopes of luring in a younger audience, The X Factor USA decided to hire her as one of the newest judges. She and Britney Spears were hired as judges after previous judges Paula Abdul and Nicole Scherzinger were given the boot.
L.A. Reid – L.A. is a record executive, songwriter and record producer. L.A. is best known as being one of the co-founders of LaFace Records. He is personally responsible for signing multi-platinum album selling artists such as Mariah Carey, Toni Braxton, Pink, Rihanna, OutKast, Young Jeezy, Rick Ross, Avril Lavigne, TLC, Dido, Kanye West, Justin Bieber, Ciara, Usher, Kerli and Ne-Yo. L.A. is currently the chief executive and President of Hitco Music Publishing, based in Atlanta. He is also the Chairman and CEO of Epic Records. He is returning for his second year as a judge on The X Factor USA.
Khloe Kardashian – Khloe is a television personality who is best known for her role on the E! reality TV series “Keeping Up with the Kardashians”. She is married to NBA basketball player Lamar Odom.
At the Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles on September 11, 2012, Simon chose Khloe as the host. After that point, it was up to Fox television to green-light the deal which they eventually did.
The remainder of the judges told TMZ that they were firm about their decision to have Khloe host the show. Insiders reported that Khloe has chemistry with both Britney and Demi outside the show and that this chemistry would be easily be seen on-screen. Hiring Khloe as the host will assuredly boost ratings as well.
Mario Lopez - Mario is a television host who has appeared on several television shows and on Broadway. His career began when he played the role of A.C. Slater on the NBC teen comedy “Saved by the Bell”.
Mario is currently the host for the entertainment news magazine show “Extra”. He also hosts the MTV reality shows “America’s Best Dance Crew” and “Top Pop Group”.
In 2006, Mario finished third on the ABC hit reality show “Dancing with the Stars”. In 2008 he made his debut on Broadway in the revival of “A Chorus Line”. He has also published three non-fiction books. In fact, his cookbook, ‘Extra Lean” became a New York Times best seller in early 2010.
Each of the judges this season will be assigned one of four categories:
- Individuals 12 – 16: Demi Lovato
- Individuals 17 – 24: Britney Spears
- Individuals over 25: L.A. Reid
- Groups: Simon Cowell
Auditions for this year’s competition were held on the following dates at the following locations:
- May 24 – 25, 2012 Austin, Texas
- June 8 – 9, 2102 Kansas City, Missouri
- June 16 – 18, 2012 San Francisco, California
- June 27 – 29, 2012 Providence, Rhode Island
- July 8 – 10, 2012 Greensboro, North Carolina
- X Factor 2014 judges: Dannii Minogue backs Cheryl Cole! – Telly Mix
- Rita Ora Turned Down An X Factor UK Judging Seat AND Over $1 Million! She’s … – PerezHilton.com
- Khloe Kardashian buys house from Justin Bieber, makes crude O.J. Simpson joke – Examiner.com
- Seth MacFarlane hopes ‘Cosmos’ counteracts ‘junk science,’ creationism – Los Angeles Times
- Jim and Juli Boeheim to host 15th annual Basket Ball on April 26th at Turning … – The Post-Standard
- Rita Ora Reportedly Turns Down ‘X Factor UK’ Gig – Just Jared
- X Factor Sam Bailey winner announces third pregnancy – BBC News
- The reality star has just joined Vine and is already taking it by STORM – Mirror.co.uk
- X Factor champ Sam Bailey reveals she is pregnant with THIRD child – Mirror.co.uk
- Rita Ora once again rejects an offer to be a judge on ‘The X Factor’ U.K. – Examiner.com
- Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM) news: ExxonMobil’s CEO Hosts 2014 Analyst … – Seeking Alpha
- Popular this week – Mirror.co.uk
- X Factor judges 2014: Sarah Harding wants to replace Cheryl Cole – Telly Mix
- As Haith’s first transfer, Ross allowed Tigers to build toward what they see … – Columbia Daily Tribune
- Ukraine’s Victor Pinchuk: The Oligarch In The Middle Of The Crisis – Forbes
- Wildcats roll into sub-state semis – McPherson Sentinel
- X Factor judges 2014: Sarah Harding wants to repalce Cheryl Cole – Telly Mix
- Stars shine at Xtra special X Factor gig in Aberdeen – Aberdeen Evening Express
- Kelly Osbourne & Lady Gaga end their feud — with choking – SheKnows.com
- X Factor USA Canceled After Three Year Run – Singersroom News